about the ICS

plan of the studio


how to get to ICS

kecskemét street map

frequently asked questions



Frequently asked questions

Artist in Residence program
Application procedure
Selection procedure
Price information

How to get to the ICS
General information and Visas
Weather information
Eating and drinking
Money, credit card and ATM's
Tipping and gratuities
artist in residence program

What does artist in residence mean?
Being an artist in residence at the ICS means you can apply for a period of time to live and work here at the studio in Hungary. Many artists find this a valuable time to experiment and investigate new directions in their work. Many artists come here to complete a specific project or work for a major exhibition or just to be able to work in an environment with other creative artists.

Why have artists in residence?
Many artists work in their own studios, often in isolation. The creative spirit needs contact with other artists to expand and flourish. The influences and inspiration gained from working in a new environment, responding to the surroundings and people can often be life changing. Artist in residence schemes have grown in the last few years with mnay artistiv disciplines recognising their value and need. The ICS was established over 30 years ago to provide such a meeting place of cultures and minds.

back to top of page

application procedure

I would like to apply to work at the ICS. How do I do this?
Please email or write for an application form. This is a simple one page form. We need 6 - 10 images of your work (either slides, photos or digital images but we prefer digital by email), your current CV/Resume, a brief biography and the completed application form.

Is the application procedure the same for Artist in Residence and the courses?
Basically yes. You will need to complete an application form whichever scheme you are applying for. There is some extra, more detailed information we need for selecting artists for the Residency programme.

back to top of page

selection procedure

Who chooses the artists to work at the ICS?
The International Ceramics Studio has a committee of art advisers who discuss and select the artists to work at the studio.

What is the selection criteria?
The most important criteria is the quality of the applicants work and their application. For artists applying for self directed residencies the art committee find it is extremely useful to read the artists proposals for their working period here.

When are artists selected?
The art committee meet several times a year to discuss the applications. For some organised programmes there are deadlines but for self directed residencies, applications can be accepted at any time of the year.

How will you accept my application?
Applications can be either by email (preferred) or post. We can accept slides, photographs but we prefer digital pictures (either by email or on cd).

back to top of page


What is a symposium?
The symposium system was established in this part of the world with the aim of bringing artists together to work, to learn from each other and to create cultural links and exchanges during a closed political time. Symposiums were held regularly throughout the former Soviet block, usually for a six week period in the summer months. Some countries are still able to run symposia and this was the founding aim of the International Ceramics Studio - to have a year round programme where artists can work together in a mutually supportive and creative environment.

In my country a symposium is usually a two or three day conference to discuss particular topics. How does this differ to a symposium at the International Ceramics Studio?
Here the symposium is more than a talking shop. It is a prolonged period of intensive practical work where about ten artists will work around a theme, creating work and exchanging ideas, philosophies and practices. There will always be a complimentary series of slide shows and talks by each of the artists.

How do I apply to be part of a symposium?
We require you to complete the studio application form, send 6 - 10 images of your work, your CV or Resume and give a brief description of your work. Application forms can be requested by
email from icshu@me.com.

What is a symposium with master?
Masters are invited to lead and facilitate the symposium participants. As a participant in a symposium you will be making your own work alongside internationally respected masters who will be pleased to discuss working practice, technique and philosophy with participants. As part of the program the masters will give a formal demonstration and lecture. During the program you will be living and working in the ICS with 24 hour access to your studio, use of all facilities and access to our impressive collection of contemporary ceramics.

back to top of page

price information

How does the price structure work?
The prices we charge fall into two categories. One is for special events and may be quoted as an overall figure for the specific length of time of the course. The second is for artists who wish to work here on a residency or for a different length of time - these prices are calculated on a daily basis as most artists will work here for different lengths of time so it is the fairest way to calculate the costs.

How much will it cost me to work at the International Ceramics Studio on a residency?
How much it will cost will depend on how long you intend to stay. The easiest way to calculate this is to decide on how many days you be here for and multiply the daily rate on the website by how many days. (if you intend to be here for a month then the cost in a single room would be 30x10000 = 300,000 Hungarian Forints.)

What does the cost include?
The daily rate includes living accommodation, studio rental, use of all studio's facilities, technical support, use of kitchens, bed linen and towels.

What currency are your prices in?
All prices on the website are in Hungarian Forints. We have to do this because of the daily fluctuation in exchange rates. There is a link on the prices pages to a currency converter which calculate how much in your local currency the costs are. For current conversion rates please see
The Universal Currency Converter.

back to top of page

how to get to the International Ceramics Studio

I will be arriving by plane at Budapest airport. What is the best way to get to the Kecskemét studio.
There is a new train service operating from the old terminal 1 to Budapest or Kecskemet direct. The station is called FERIHEGY and is a short walk over the bridge (there is a lift if necessary). If you arrive at Terminal 2A or 2B there is a bus service (200E) to Ferihegy station. Tickets for the train from Ferihegy to Kecskemet can be purchased on the platform from the machines. The intercity trains are quick, clean and air conditioned, announcements are also in English.

Which terminal will I be arriving at?
All flights from the Shengen countries (European Union except UK) flights arrive and depart from terminal 2A. All other international flights use terminal 2B for both arrivals and departures. Flight information can br found on the Budapest Airport website at www.bud.hu

How can I get to the Nepliget Bus Station from the airport?
There are many taxis at the airport but the easiest and cheapest way is to use the Airport Minibus Service. This operates a fixed rate to any destination in Budapest city. When you arrive go to the Minibus Booking desk in the arrivals hall. Details can be found on www.bud.hu

Sometimes, in old web pages I see the studio address is a post box. Is it the same as the building address?
No. We have now closed our post box and both the mailing address and the studio address are the same - H-6000 Kecskemet, Kápolna u. 11., Hungary. After the fall of the Iron Curtain many street names were changed from the old communist ones so our address has changed several times but we have never moved ! The studio is only a short walk, 500 metres from the main square of the town.

I have a lot of luggage. Can I get a taxi?
Yes but from the airport it is an hour drive a
nd an airport taxi will cost you a lot. We can arrange a local taxi to meet you at the airport and drive you direct. The cost of this is about half the normal service. If there are several of you arriving together then this could be a good and cheap way. Please email icshu@me.com for information on this service.

Download travel information and street maps to the studio

back to top of page

general information

Do I need a visa to participate at the ICS?
It depends on which country you are from and how long you will be staying here. For example citizens of the United States and most other countries can stay here for 90 days without a visa while citizens from Great Britain can stay for 6 months. Since Hungary joined the European Union visa and travel conditions have changed so for an up to date information list please consult your embassy in the home country. Find a list of Hungarian embassies round the world click here.

I plan to stay for more than my visa free time. What must I do?
If you require a visa or will be staying for a longer time than you may without a visa please visit the web pages of the Embassy or Consulate of Hungary in your home country.
Click here for Hungarian Embassies in the world

I want to bring some electrical equipment with me. Can you please tell me if it will work?
The standard voltage in Hungary is 220 volts with a frequency of 50 hertz. European standard plugs are used with two round pins. Visitors from USA may have the most problems with voltage differences.

What is the time difference in Hungary?
Hungary is one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+1)

Do I need to carry identification with me?
At all times you should carry some form of identification with you. You are required to produce your passport if requested by the police.

back to top of page

money and credit cards

What is the currency in Hungary?
The currency is the Hungarian Forint.

Will I be able to change money easily?
There are many banks which offer currency exchange facilities as well as independent exchange offices and ATM machines on the streets or in the larger supermarkets. Visa, Mastercard, Delta and Electron are the most common cards accepted in the machines. There are three banks and several cash machines within five minutes walk of the studio.

Can I use my credit or debit cards?
Many shops, supermarkets, hotels and restuarants accept Visa and Mastercard but AMEX is not so common outside of Budapest. We have had artists experience difficulties with certain cards, especially from USA. Most European cards have a gold security memory chip on the front. These will be accepted in most places. If your card does not have such a chip then it is not guaranteed to work. You will usually be required to input your pin number into a machine at most supermarket checkouts. Occasionally you will also be asked for your passport or similar identification.

back to top of page

eating and drinking

I always like to try local foods whenever I am visiting a country. What is Hungarian food like?
Hungarian cuisine is one of the best in the world and you will find many traditional reataurants serving Hungarian dishes, especially the reknowned 'Goulash'. Many dishes are quite spicy with paprika, for which this part of the world is reknown.

Are their many restaurants in Kecskemét?
Kecskemét is the fifth largest town in Hungary and has a lively restuarant and bar culture, especialy during the summer months when the restaurants can open their gardens and terraces. International cuisine is popular in every town, with many Greek, Italian, French, Belgian, Chinese and Turkish restaurants. On your arrival at the studio we will give you information and town maps.

How do the prices for meals in restuarants compare with Western europe?
Prices for meals vary widely but on average a main course will cost between 1500 and 2500 HUF. Some cheaper cafes and restuarants offer a set menu for between 700 and 900 HUF. More upmarket popular restaurants are usually at the top end of the scale with an excellent main course costing about 2000 - 2500 HUF.

What are the most popular drinks in Hungary?
Wines and spirits are popular throughout the country especially the Barack Palinka (Apricot Brandy) for which Kecskemét is famous. Other spirits you should try are Korte Palinka (Pear Brandy) and Unicum, an aperitif unique to Hungary. Wines are grown in many areas of the country and excellent wines are produced in Tokaji, Eger, Villany, Szekszard and around lake Balaton. You should also try the many superb beers available in both draught and bottle. If you are driving please remember that you are not allowed to drink any alchohol at all.

How will understand the menu?
Virtually all restuarants and cafes will have menus in English and German, many will also have Italian, Spanish and French version available. Sometimes they lose a bit in translation - but that's the fun of being in a different country.

back to top of page


Will my cell phone work?
Hungary has a modern telecommunications system. In addition to the usual postal and public telephone systems, GSM mobile phones can be used throughout the country operated by the three service providers T-mobile, Telenor and Vodaphone. All these companies have partner agreements with most other European providers. Please contact your GSM provider for more information.

Can I buy international calling cards?
International calling cards are available at most news-stands and post offices. These are a pre-paid card (usually 2000 or 5000 forints) which give cheap rate telephone access from public call boxes. We usually carry a stock in our office so its easy and cheap to phones from the call boxes in the studio.

I will want to access my email while I am in the studio. Will I be able to?
Internet and email facilities are available at the studio. We have 24 hour WiFi in most areas and and a computer terminal in our library for artists' use.

back to top of page

weather in Hungary

What sort of clothes should I bring?
Weather in summer is very warm and enjoyable (often in the high 20's or low 30's centigrade) but it can get cool in the evenings so please also bring warmer clothes if you intend to walk or sit outside.

I have heard the winters can be cold. What is it like to work in the studios?
Winter can be extremely cold, often down to -10 in the day. All the studio facilities are heated and any restaurant or shops you go to will be heated too so it is often better to wear lighter clothing with a warm overcoat.

Is there anywhere I can find out detailed information about the weather there?
For up to date weather information you can visit the Hungarian Meteorology Office website.

back to top of page

tipping and gratuities

Do I tip a waiter like I would at home?
A service charge is usually not included in the bill at restaurants, bars and cafes but most waiters, bar assistants, taxi drivers etc will expect a tip usually of around 10%. Many service workers here, like in most other countries are poorly paid and may rely on gratuities to earn a respectable wage. Tipping is your perogative however as a reward for good service.

back to top of page

© International Ceramic Studio, H-6000 Kecskemét, Kápolna u. 11, Hungary